Thursday, March 10, 2011

corbin

I love EVERYTHING about childbirth. I know that's weird, but it's so true. ♥
40 weeks pregnant with Corbin

I love the excitement of finding out I am pregnant.
I love the journey through those 9 long months.
I love the way my body changes to accommodate my growing child.
I love preparing for a new baby.
I love labor.
And I love delivery.

What I love the most is that brand new baby and everything that comes along with it. So maybe the truth is, I just love being a Mom.

Since my oldest son just turned 4, I have been reflecting a lot on his birth and our relationship as mother and child. Totally normal, right?

After Corbin was born, I decided I never wanted to have a childbirth experience like his again. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad happened, but nothing really wonderful happened either. I was 6 days "overdue" and I was induced with Pitocin. I had the Epidural. I got to do some fun knees-up-to-my-ears pushing after being stuck in a hospital bed for almost 24 hours.

Good times...

Don't I look comfy?

Once my sweet baby was born, he was immediately taken over to the warming bed. I didn't get to see him for 15 minutes, at best. It was later explained that he had a nuchal cord x2, which means the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck two times. Why did they take him away from me for so long seeing as though the cord "problem" was fixed as soon as he was crowning? Oh, that's right! They needed to weigh him and measure him and wipe him down and... you get my point. That other stuff should have come secondary to Corbin being with me.
Waiting to meet Mommy

I was still in the hospital bed; feet still in the stirrups. I was delivering the placenta and talking with my OB/GYN. Everyone else was over by the baby. Not me. Once I finally laid my eyes on that beautiful boy, I knew in my heart that I would make it up to him. We will be close, Little Man. I promise.

19 minutes after his birth, I meet Corbin
Even though Corbin's birth was not ideal as far as mother-child bonding goes, we did bond. Over time we bonded through breastfeeding and babywearing. We bonded as a family by bed-sharing.

Today, at 4 years old, Corbin is a wonderful child. He is sweet and thoughtful and he always tells me he loves me. I could not have asked for a better son, and I am so thankful that we have a special relationship despite his rough entrance into the world.

I've said it before and I will say it a million times, he really is my shining star.

3 comments:

  1. Heather "Hemma" PappMarch 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

    Corbin certainly is a special child and you and Brian are wonderful parents. I am grateful each day for our friendship and to have another like-minded momma to share life with. Your positivity and loving nature is such a blessing. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw. This made me cry! I love this. You're such a good mama! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post.... brought tears to my eyes!!! Your beautiful boys are so lucky to have such a wonderful mama!!

    ReplyDelete