Wednesday, November 6, 2013

what we're eating - fruit leather

Every Wednesday I am going to do a "What We're Eating" post. This will include recipes of all kinds! My family eats real, whole foods - but we do have an occasional treat! I hope you can find some good ideas for feeding your family.

My kids have been begging me to make this fruit leather since they saw it in a cookbook I have! They do not get foods like the traditional "Fruit Roll-Up" you see in stores, so I thought it would be fun to make this as a special treat for them.

Homemade Fruit Leather
(recipe adapted from Against All Grain's Fruit by the Foot)

Start with 4 cups of frozen fruit.
You can go with mixed berries, a tropical mix, strawberries, basically anything you want! We went with organic mixed berries.



Put your fruit in a saucepan and add a teaspoon of lemon juice, a teaspoon of raw honey (you can add more to taste), and 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce.

TIP: I never keep a jar of applesauce on hand, so I use a pouch of GoGo Squeez, which is a one ingredient applesauce that my kids love!



Mix everything together and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Or you can forget about it like I did and let it simmer for 45 minutes. It won't hurt it!

Once the mixture has cooled just a bit, pour it into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.



If you have a dehydrator, you can use the plastic tray made specifically for fruit leather or you can line the regular trays with parchment. Divide the fruit mixture onto two trays and put into the dehydrator at 150* for 3.5 - 4 hours. You know it's done when it's not sticky to touch and peels up easily from the tray.

After 1.5 hours

If you don't have a dehydrator, buy one! I got mine from a local swap shop on Facebook for $5! We love it!

Seriously though, if you don't have a dehydrator, you can make this in the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet or two with parchment and pour the fruit mixture into it. Spread it out evenly with a spoon or spatula. Set your oven as low as it goes and cook for 4.5 - 5 hours. You want the leather to be firm and not sticky when it's done!

If you used parchment, you can use kitchen shears and cut it into strips and roll it up like a "Fruit Roll-Up". If you used the dehydrator trays, peel the fruit leather off and lay it on parchment. Cut into strips and roll it up. Store in an airtight container.


Or eat it all in one day.



If you don't have the new cookbook from Against All Grain, you are missing out! It's filled with wonderful recipes for the whole family!


*If you purchase anything through my Amazon.com links, I will receive a small portion of the proceeds.*

No comments:

Post a Comment